July 03, 2006

Fiscal responsibility vs. The allure of a new bike

or,

The satisfaction that comes with saving up for something you want Vs. Getting a new bike right now

or,

Being able to maintain my facade of responsible grown-upness Vs. Being able to ride a shiny new bike, right now, dammit!

Uh, the bike won. Obviously.

Squeee! It's a road bike from Giant, which set me back $1100 (which I didn't really have) But it has carbon forks and modern gearing and it's shiny.

It was the test ride that did me in. This bike rides so much smoother than my old Miyata. Gliding over pavement, it felt like riding a bike as a kid - big fat tires and banana seats, circling the same section of new asphalt again and again because it was so smooth and so much fun to ride on.

Guess I was having a 'life's too short' kind of moment. Which it is. So I'm going to spend more of it with a cool bike.

No comments: