June 09, 2006

"Everyone is a house with four rooms...

...a physical, and emotional, a mental and a spiritual. Most of tend to live in one room most of the time, but unless we go into every room, every day, even if only to keep it aired, we are not a complete person."
-Rumer Godden

An interesting idea from an interesting woman. I read one of her young adult books, Thursday's Children, in junior high school and became deeply obsessed with it. I can't really explain why, a story about kids trying to become professional ballet dancers had less than nothing to do with me. Maybe it just played to my fantasies of being deeply talented but unappreciated and misunderstood - you know, just like every other 13-year-old. I found the book again recently and googled the author, and found this quote. Again, it is strangely, perfectly relevant for me, and yet, completely not. Somehow, I feel like all of my rooms are packed to the rafters with old newspapers and that a hoard of stray cats has moved in and made the house their own...

No comments: