March 16, 2006

White on White

When I stepped out this morning, the whole world had become blindingly white. The layer of snow was thin, but it seemed to cover every possible surface and detail. Maybe it was the thick fog, I can imagine it turning from mist to frozen crystal sometime during the night, then coating everything with a thin layer of ice and snow. The most amazing part was the trees. Every twig was sparkling, making each tree into an intricate pattern and a lacy fringe. Even the evergreens had turned white. It made me feel like I was walking through a black-and-white photograph, maybe one that had been overexposed, leaving the entire picture white on white on white.

This isn't that unusual, it happens to the trees by the river every time the weather turns shockingly cold. Days like this. What made it strange was the spring-like feeling of the air. I was too warm in my long winter coat. I couldn't decide if it was me or the trees that had not dressed for the weather.

No comments: