March 08, 2006

Bonus Frequencies

Last night we went to yet another show. I'm really happy that there's nothing I want to see for at least a few more weeks 'cause I'm way way too old for this kind of thing. I think that was four shows in five nights. On the one night we didn't go out I was tired enough that I actually watched the Oscars in their wretched entirety. (The best part definitely the pimps-n-hos interpretive dance - now with added hotpants!)

I've seen Bob Wiseman at least twenty times over the past ten years, and I still go almost every time he's in town. Which means that every once in a while I find myself at a club, hanging out with a couple dozen other true believers, watching this demented guy jam out and get all experimental with the accordion. The last few shows he's brought along a stack of his strange short films and played his music over top of them.

Y'know, there are very people I would tolerate this behavior from. Accordions, short films, the occasional plaid outfit... normally that would be enough to make me flee. But then in the middle of his art school freak out he'll pull out something amazing and heartfelt and even more unexpected than an accordion freak-out. Like a cover of Unchained Melody. Go to his site and watch the video for the Real Thing, it might help explain things...

(Oh, bonus frequencies was a joke from one of his films, which advertised his imaginary upcoming album, which will feature more 100 instruments and, as a bonus, frequencies too low for human perception)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Next time you're checking out a show like that, let me know! I'm sure the girls won't mind skipping a meal so Mommy can check out some entertainment.
It's odd how much energy loss one experiences as one ages. Remember the days when you could catch up on all lost sleep in a couple of really lazy Sundays a month??

Anonymous said...

thanks

plynn said...

Well, Bob Wiseman seems to on a practically endless tour, so I'm sure he'll be back in Calgary at least once more this year. He used to play the folk festival practically every year, and had a merry band of geeks that followed him from stage to stage.

I have vague memories of working at 8 am after being out till 3, but I can't imagine that it was ever a good idea...