January 24, 2006

The West is in

...is the headline on the Calgary Herald today. They might as well have followed it with "So suck it up, bitches!" - that's so clearly the message. The Sun has "VicTORY!" splashed across their front page in 300-point. Nothing like tossing away that facade of journalistic neutrality the second the wind starts blowing your way. It almost makes me wish I could be more of an oil-obsessed, Ontario-hating redneck. Because I bet that today is a very happy one for most people in the oil industry and all the endless related industries. I have a mental image of businessmen pouring out of their downtown skyscrapers, running around, hollering and throwing snowballs, celebrating their tremendous luck with the fervour of children let loose for recess.

Then again, maybe they're all disappointed. Just last week a Conservative majority looked inevitable. So while I'm breathing a sigh of relief over a Conservative minority ('it could be worse' is my new mantra) the rest of Calgary could be pouting about being denied the opportunity to play with the big-kid toys.

Also:


One is a creepy-eyed horror movie villian. One is my new leader.

I'm just saying.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Honestly, there are a whole lot of us in the industry that aren't very happy about this outcome.

My boss voted Green!