December 18, 2005

Wisdom

Early last week I read a very bizarre piece of advice:

"If you have to eat shit, don't nibble."

Disgusting. And, at the time, it didn't even make sense to me. Ah, blessed innocence. Days later I came to appreciate the wisdom of this statement. Don't you hate it when life turns into a hackneyed screenplay, complete with foreshadowing and unheeded warnings?

Never happened to you? Piss off, then.

I know I don't have any options other than swallowing it and moving on. And I know it's better than simmering with bitterness and resentment. But still, part of me wants to throw a tantrum and refuse to do what's best. But the satisfaction of making people squirm will be fleeting compared to the pain of dealing with an enduring reputation as a nutbar.

Guess I'll just have too dig in. And remember to smile while I'm doing it.

No comments: