December 11, 2005

8K

I finally gave up on the local community centre and it's teeny room filled with aged equipment and line-ups. I've been checking out other gyms looking for a replacement. I've been going to downtown Y across from the Cecil Hotel for years, but had to cross it off the list. The first time I brought Shawn with me, someone busted open his locker and stole his wallet. The response from the front desk? "yeah, that happens a lot"

Yesterday I went down to SAIT to try out their fitness centre. It's pretty damn swanky compared to the low-ceiling city facility I'm used to. Every piece of cardio equipment has a television screen. I know I'm hopelessly behind the times because this is first time I've seen that. It seems kind of strange for a college gym though - usually they have book rests so freaked-out students can study while they sweat.

I did a quick tour of the weights and then ended up on the treadmill, trying to haul my ass through an 8K run. I haven't run more than 5 in months, so it was pretty freaking painful. I need to get ready for the Resolution Run on the 31st, leaving me exactly 20 days to get into shape. Running around after dark on New Year's Eve can get pretty damn cold so I don't want to walk any of it. I missed it last year because I was sick, and I've superstitiously drawn a direct correlation between that and the fairly crappy year I've had, health-wise. So this year I plan to be out there with the rest of the freaks, running around downtown dressed in multiple layers.

What ever happened to getting hopelessly drunk on New Year's Eve and looking for some random guy to make out with? Oh, I remember, that sucked, too.

No comments: