December 01, 2009

Six months!

Having a baby born on the first of the month is a definite advantage when it comes to celebrating every tiny milestone. The start of every new month is a new mini-birthday, and it's easy to calculate the halves, three-quarters and almost-months. I try not to reveal how closely I have his growth tracked, just saying that he's four months, five months, and now six months. Nobody needs to know that he's five months, three weeks and four days.


But! today is different! Today he is exactly six months old. I didn't think anything of his upcoming half year until he woke up this morning and I thought about how long ago June 1st seems now. All day I've been a little teary and perhaps just a bit excessively huggy. I can't stop though, every time I look at him I just think "six months. six months!" From a shrunken old-man doll to a pink giggly sweetie in just a few short months. Sometimes I look at him and wonder where that serious, watchful little creature went, that teeny preemie that never made a sound when he stared at me with wide eyes, and whether he might emerge again at some later date. Maybe as a solemn 11 year old, or sighing teenager?

And I wonder what little boy I will have six months from now. Will he still have the big blue eyes that beguile strangers? Will he stay all pink and shiny and brand-new looking? gah, I'm such a suck today, I can't even write anymore for thinking about his little cheeks and how it's been too long since I gave a kiss to my little half-year old.

No comments: